Some points of similarities between the Islamic and Biblical Scriptures...
THIS is apropos the belittling between ‘the Believers and the Non-Believers’ (the centuries-old religious bigotries), wherein a believer feels it is OK to try to impose his/her beliefs on others. The reason behind this is: a believer always tries to make others believe in what he/she believes in.
However, when a non-believer simply questions a believer about his/her beliefs, he/she will be accused by the believer of imposing his/her belief on others, or would even be treated violently in a country like Pakistan; but that is not an imposition of non-belief on others. And, how can a non-believer impose his/her beliefs on others, when he/she doesn’t ever have a belief to impose on others? If one believes in Santa Claus, and I question that belief, it doesn’t mean that I am imposing my ‘belief’ in the non-existence of Santa Claus. I am, at best, asking the believer to prove the existence of Santa Claus, a duty that squarely falls on the shoulder of the one, who does believe in Santa Claus. I’m not imposing my belief, if I at all have one, on the believer, nor should I embark on a task of proving the non-existence of something that does not exist.
Muslims and Christians (the believers) have a long history of desecrating the worship-places of other religions (non-believers); and Muslims are engaged in this practice even to this day. One of the primary reasons for this lies in their hatred towards Idol Worships, which is primarily incited by ‘their’ holy scriptures.
Manny have observed that Prophet Muhammad had borrowed many of his satanic verses/concepts from the Old Testament of the Holy Bible, and there is a good deal of justification to this assertion!
Currently, Islam continues to be the religion that is ‘hell-bent’ on forcing its Islamic concepts of imperialisms on the rest of the world at large! Flogging, Beheading, Stoning, and its other draconian laws are still practiced in all Islam-dominated countries.
Moreover, after accepting the fair manmade democratic laws, Christians living in the West, as well as many in the East too, do not believe in the flawed historic Biblical laws anymore. It is fair enough to note that such Laws have been flushed down the toilets of modern thinking… However, from an academic perspective, it is no less important to study the salient common features of the (holy) Islamic and Biblical scriptures.
To many of our dear believing brothers and sisters, who may not follow these Holy Books to the letter, nonetheless believe them to be the true verbatim (with a true carbon copy of it in heavenly abodes) of the mystic One God of this blessed world…!
So, this article compiles, as you will find, just a few such Laws from the sacred One God of Islam and Christianity. As I am not the author of these sacred scriptures, I am just repeating “verbatim” what is detailed/said in these sacred Books.
WOMEN & PRAYERS
- Narrated 'Aisha: ‘the things which annul prayers were mentioned before me (and those were): a dog, a donkey and a woman. I said, "You have compared us (women) to donkeys and dogs. By Allah! I saw the Prophet praying while I used to lie in (my) bed between him and the Qiblah. Whenever I was in need of something, I disliked sitting and troubling the Prophet. So, I would slip away by the side of his feet”.’ (Bukhari 9:493)
- Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also says the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church (New Testament: 1 Corinthians 14:34-35)
PUNISHMENT FOR ADULTERY
- The woman and the man guilty of adultery or fornication,- flog each of them with a hundred stripes: Let not compassion move you in their case, in a matter prescribed by Allah, if ye believe in Allah and the Last Day: and let a party of the Believers witness their punishment. (Quran: 24:2)
- Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar: The Jew brought to the Prophet a man and a woman from amongst them who have committed (adultery) illegal sexual intercourse. He ordered both of them to be stoned (to death), near the place of offering the funeral prayers beside the mosque." (Sahih Bukhari 2.23.413)
- Narrated Jabir bin Abdullah Al-Ansari: A man from the tribe of Bani Aslam came to Allah's Apostle and informed him that he had committed illegal sexual intercourse and bore witness four times against himself. Allah's Apostle ordered him to be stoned to death as he was a married Person. (Sahih Bukhari 8.82.805)
- If there is a young woman, a virgin already engaged to be married, and a man meets her in the town and lies with her, you shall bring both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death, the young woman because she did not cry for help in the town and the man because he violated his neighbors’ wife. So you shall purge the evil from your midst. (Deuteronomy 22:23-24)
- Prophet! Tell thy wives and thy daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when they go abroad). That will be better, so that they may be recognized and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful. (Quran 33.59)Narrated Aisha: The believing women covered with their veiling sheets used to attend the Fajr prayer with Allah's Apostle, and after finishing the prayer they would return to their home and nobody could recognize them because of darkness. (Sahih Bukhari Volume 1, Book 10, Number 552)
- Narrated Anas: Umar said, "I agreed with Allah in three things," or said, "My Lord agreed with me in three things. I said, 'O Allah's Apostle! Would that you took the station of Abraham as a place of prayer.' I also said, 'O Allah's Apostle! Good and bad persons visit you! Would that you ordered the Mothers of the believers to cover themselves with veils.' So the Divine Verses of Al-Hijab (i.e. veiling of the women) were revealed (33.59). I came to know that the Prophet had blamed some of his wives so I entered upon them and said, 'You should either stop (troubling the Prophet) or else Allah will give His Apostle better wives than you.' When I came to one of his wives, she said to me, 'O 'Umar! Does Allah's Apostle haven't what he could advise his wives with, that you try to advise them?' Thereupon Allah revealed Surah 66.5
- But every woman that prays or prophesizes with her head uncovered dishonors her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. (1 Corinthians 11.5)
- They swear by Allah that they said nothing (wrong), yet they did say the word of disbelief, and did disbelieve after their Surrender (to Allah). And they purposed that which they could not attain, and they sought revenge only that Allah by His messenger should enrich them of His bounty. If they repent it will be better for them; and if they turn away, Allah will afflict them with a painful doom in the world and the Hereafter, and they have neither protecting friend nor helper in the earth. (Quran 9.74)
- They but wish that you should reject Faith, as they do, and thus be on the same footing (as they): But take not friends from their ranks until they flee in the way of Allah (From what is forbidden). But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever ye find them; and (in any case) take no friends or helpers from their ranks. (Quran 4.89)
- Narrated Ikrima, "Some atheists were brought to Ali and he burnt them. The news of this event, reached Ibn Abbas who said, "If I had been in his place, I would not have burnt them, as Allah's messenger forbade it, saying, "Do not punish anybody with Allah's punishment (fire)." I would have killed them according to the statement of Allah's Messenger, "Whoever changed his Islamic religion, then kill him." (Sahih Bukhari 9.57)
- If anyone secretly entices you—even if it is your brother, your father’s son or your mother’s son, or your own son or daughter, or the wife you embrace, or your most intimate friend—saying, ‘Let us go and worship other gods’, whom neither you nor your ancestors have known, any of the gods of the peoples that are around you, whether near you or far away from you, from one end of the earth to the other, you must not yield to or heed any such persons. Show them no pity or compassion and do not shield them. But you shall surely kill them; your own hand shall be first against them to execute them, and afterwards the hand of all the people. Stone them to death for trying to turn you away from the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. Then all Israel shall hear and be afraid, and never again do any such wickedness. (Deuteronomy 13:6-11)
SPOILS OF WAR
- They ask thee (O Muhammad) of the spoils of war. Say: The spoils of war belong to Allah and the messenger, so keep your duty to Allah, and adjust the matter of your difference, and obey Allah and His messenger, if ye are (true) believers.(Quran 8.1) And know that out of all the booty that ye may acquire (in war), a fifth share is assigned to Allah,- and to the Messenger, and to near relatives, orphans, the needy, and the wayfarer (Quran 8.41)
- Also (prohibited are) women already married, except those whom your right hands possess: Thus hath Allah ordained (Prohibitions) against you. (Quran 4.24)
- When the Lord your God gives it into your hand, you shall put all its males to the sword. You may, however, take as your booty the women, the children, livestock, and everything else in the town, all its spoil. You may enjoy the spoil of your enemies, which the Lord your God has given you. (Deuteronomy 20: 13-14)
- So the congregation sent twelve thousand soldiers there and commanded them, ‘Go, put the inhabitants of Jabesh-gilead to the sword, including the women and the little ones. This is what you shall do; every male and every woman that has lain with a male you shall devote to destruction.’ And they found among the inhabitants of Jabesh-gilead four hundred young virgins who had never slept with a man and brought them to the camp at Shiloh, which is in the land of Canaan. Then the whole congregation sent word to the Benjaminites who were at the rock of Rimmon, and proclaimed peace to them. Benjamin returned at that time; and they gave them the women whom they had saved alive of the women of Jabesh-gilead; but they did not suffice for them. (Judges 21:10-14)
- When you go out to war against your enemies, and the Lord your God hands them over to you and you take them captive, suppose you see among the captives a beautiful woman whom you desire and want to marry, and so you bring her home to your house: she shall shave her head, pare her nails, discard her captive’s garb, and shall remain in your house for a full month, mourning for her father and mother; after that you may go in to her and be her husband, and she shall be your wife. But if you are not satisfied with her, you shall let her go free and not sell her for money. You must not treat her as a slave, since you have dishonored her. (Deuteronomy 21:10-14)
- They must be dividing the spoils they took: there must be a damsel or two for each man, Spoils of dyed cloth as Sisera's spoil; an ornate shawl or two for me in the spoil. (Judges 5:30)
DESTRUCTION OF PAGAN PLACE OF WORSHIPS
- Then did he cast a glance at the Stars. And he said, "I am indeed sick (at heart)!" So they turned away from him, and departed. Then did he turn to their gods and said, "will ye not eat (of the offerings before you)? What is the matter with you that ye speak not (intelligently)?" Then did he turn upon them, striking (them) with the right hand. Then came (the worshippers) with hurried steps, and faced (him). (Quran 37:88-94)
- And by Allah, I have a plan for your idols - after ye go away and turn your backs. So he broke them to pieces, (all) but the biggest of them, that they might turn (and address themselves) to it. They said, "Who has done this to our gods? He must indeed be some man of impiety!" They said, "We heard a youth talk of them: He is called Abraham." (Quran 21:57-60)
- Narrated Abdullah bin Masud: "Allah's Apostle entered Makkah (in the year of the Conquest) and there were three-hundred and sixty idols around the Kaa'bah. He then started hitting them with a stick in his hand and say: 'Truth (i.e. Islam) has come and falsehood (disbelief) vanished. Truly falsehood (disbelief) is ever bound to vanish.' [Quran 17: 81] 'Truth has come and falsehood (Iblis) cannot create anything.' [Quran 34: 49]" [Sahih Bukhari Volume 6, Book 60, Number 244]
- You must demolish completely all the places, where the nations whom you are about to dispossess served their gods, on the mountain heights, on the hills, and under every leafy tree. Break down their altars, smash their pillars, burn their sacred poles with fire, and hew down the idols of their gods, and thus blot out their name from their places. You shall not worship the Lord your God in such ways. (Deuteronomy 12:2-4)
- It is not for a believer to kill a believer unless (it be) by mistake. He who hath killed a believer by mistake must set free a believing slave, and pay the blood-money to the family of the slain, unless they remit it as a charity. If he (the victim) be of a people hostile unto you, and he is a believer, then (the penance is) to set free a believing slave. And if he cometh of a folk between whom and you there is a covenant, then the blood-money must be paid unto his folk and (also) a believing slave must be set free. And whoso hath not the wherewithal must fast two consecutive months. A penance from Allah. Allah is Knower, Wise. (Quran 4.92)
- Allah sets forth the Parable (of two men: one) a slave under the dominion of another; He has no power of any sort; and (the other) a man on whom we have bestowed goodly favors from ourselves, and he spends thereof (freely), privately and publicly: are the two equal? (By no means) praise be to Allah. But most of them understand not. (Quran 16.75)
- When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11)
CRIMES AGAINST INFANTS, CHILDREN & WOMEN
- Narrated Hisham's father: Khadija died three years before the Prophet departed to Medina. He stayed there for two years or so and then he married 'Aisha when she was a girl of six years of age, and he consumed that marriage when she was nine years old. (Sahih Bukhari 5.236)
- Killing of poetess Asma Bint Marwan: Asma' was the wife of Yazid Ibn Zayd Ibn Hisn al-Khatmi. She used to revile Islam, offend the prophet and instigate the (people) against him. She composed verses. Umayr Ibn Adi came to her in the night and entered her house. Her children were sleeping around her. There was one whom she was suckling. He searched her with his hand because he was blind, and separated the child from her. He thrust his sword in her chest till it pierced up to her back. Then he offered the morning prayers with the prophet at al-Medina. The apostle of Allah said to him: "Have you slain the daughter of Marwan?" He said: "Yes. Is there something more for me to do?" He [Muhammad] said: "No. Two goats will butt together about her. This was the word that was first heard from the apostle of Allah. The apostle of Allah called him `Umayr, "basir" (the seeing). [Ibn Sa`d's Kitab al-Tabaqat al-Kabir, translated by S. Moinul Haq, Volume 2, pages 30-31]
- Samaria shall bear her guilt, because she has rebelled against her God; they shall fall by the sword, their little ones shall be dashed in pieces, and their pregnant women ripped open. (Hosea 13:16)
- Happy shall they be who take your little ones and dash them against the rock. (Psalms 137.9)
- Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword. Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes. Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes. For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off. The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows. They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children. (Isaiah 13:15-18)
- You shall not permit a female sorcerer to live. (Exodus 22:18)
- But if this charge is true (that she wasn't a virgin on her wedding night), and evidence of the girls virginity is not found, they shall bring the girl to the entrance of her fathers house and there her townsman shall stone her to death, because she committed a crime against Israel by her unchasteness in her father's house. Thus shall you purge the evil from your midst.( Deuteronomy 22:20-21)
RAIDS, DESTRUCTION & PILLAGE
- How many a township have we destroyed! As a raid by night, or while they slept at noon, our terror came unto them. (Quran 7.4)
- It is not for any prophet to have captives until he hath made slaughter in the land. Ye desire the lure of this world and Allah desires (for you) the Hereafter, and Allah is Mighty, Wise. (Quran 8.67)
- And when We would destroy a township We send commandment to its folk who live at ease, and afterward they commit abomination therein, and so the Word (of doom) hath effect for it, and we annihilate it with complete annihilation. (Quran 17.16)
- Allah's Apostle had the date-palm trees of Bani Al-Nadir burnt and cut down at a place called Al-Buwaira. Allah then revealed: "What you cut down of the date-palm trees (of the enemy) Or you left them standing on their stems. It was by Allah's Permission." (Quran 59.5) [Sahih Bukhari 9.59.365]
- Narrated Atiyyah al-Qurazi: I was among the captives of Banu Qurayzah. They (the Companions) examined us, and those who had begun to grow hair (pubes) were killed, and those who had not were not killed. I was among those who had not grown hair. (Sunan Abu-Dawud 38:4390)
- "I tell you that to everyone who has, more shall be given, but from the one who does not have, even what he does have shall be taken away. But these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slay them in my presence." (Luke 19:26-27)
- When you draw near to a town to fight against it, offer it terms of peace. If it accepts your terms of peace and surrenders to you, then all the people in it shall serve you in forced labor. If it does not submit to you peacefully, but makes war against you, then you shall besiege it; and when the Lord your God gives it into your hand, you shall put all its males to the sword. You may, however, take as your booty the women, the children, livestock, and everything else in the town, all its spoil. You may enjoy the spoil of your enemies, which the Lord your God has given you. Thus you shall treat all the towns that are very far from you, which are not towns of the nations here. (Deuteronomy 20:10-15)
- Then I heard the LORD say to the other men, "Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all old and young, girls and women and little children. But do not touch anyone with the mark. Begin your task right here at the Temple." So they began by killing the seventy leaders. "Defile the Temple!" the LORD commanded. "Fill its courtyards with the bodies of those you kill! Go!" So they went throughout the city and did as they were told." (Ezekiel 9:5-7)
- The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides, or exile from the land: that is their disgrace in this world, and a heavy punishment is theirs in the hereafter. (Quran 5.33)
- They swear by Allah that they said nothing (evil), but indeed they uttered blasphemy, and they did it after accepting Islam; and they meditated a plot which they were unable to carry out: this revenge of theirs was (their) only return for the bounty with which Allah and His Messenger had enriched them! If they repent, it will be best for them; but if they turn back (to their evil ways), Allah will punish them with a grievous penalty in this life and in the Hereafter: They shall have none on earth to protect or help them. (Quran 9.74)
- Take the blasphemer outside the camp; and let all who were within hearing lay their hands on his head, and let the whole congregation stone him. And speak to the people of Israel, saying: Anyone who curses God shall bear the sin. One who blasphemes the name of the Lord shall be put to death; the whole congregation shall stone the blasphemer. Aliens as well as citizens, when they blaspheme the Name, shall be put to death. (Leviticus 24: 14-16)
- Prophet Muhammad adopted Zaid as his son, who then married Zainab. So Zainab became Muhammad’s daughter-in-law. When Zaid divorced Zainab, Muhammad took the latter as his wife. Allah helped Muhammad by revealing the following verse (33.37): “After a term of married life with her husband, We permitted you to marry her so that it may hence be legitimate and morally blameless for a believer to marry the wife of his adopted son provided that wife has already been divorced. That is God's commandment which must be fulfilled.”
- Abraham replied, "I said to myself, 'There is surely no fear of God in this place, and they will kill me because of my wife.' Besides, she really is my sister, the daughter of my father though not of my mother; and she became my wife. (Genesis 20:11-12). However, Leviticus 18.11 prohibits such relationships…
As we whine and complain of these religious intolerances with our blinkers on in our daily lives, what we miss is the idea that atheistic secular humanism provides us the only answer to these worldly issues…? In fact, intellectualism today is identified with atheism, especially in the East, but unfortunately in a negative light.
To me what matters is knowledge. When all of us would try to seek that knowledge, then alone would we be able to lead our lives correctly… “Bear Witness”.
written by Clement- The Islam- Watch Pastor' , March 06, 2010